Making your own pasta might not be something you think about when it comes to home cooking. Pasta can be used so diversely that we often find it easier to simply grab a pack from the store to toss in our pots.
However nothing truly beats the different taste and texture that homemade offers and with just three simple ingredients that are found in most kitchens you can find that making your own is not as difficult as it seems.
- Measurements will depend on how large of a serving you want. There is only one simple rule to remember when measuring out the ingredients and that is: you will need 1 egg for every 1/2 cup of flour you use. As for the salt, usually it’s safe to use between 1/2 – 1 teaspoon no matter what size serving.
In this recipe I have used 1 cup of flour and 2 eggs which makes 2 servings.
- Once you have all your ingredients out, put them all in a large mixing bowl. You can use an electric mixer to blend everything although this is not necessary. I’ve found it a lot easier to use a forkAnd when the dough becomes stiffer it’s also easy to use your hands!
- Once everything is mixed you should end up with a good sized ball of dough like this:
- After this you will need to flour your working area where the dough will be rolled out. Contrary to what you might think, you don’t really need a fancy rolling pin, so don’t even need to worry if you don’t have one. I don’t, so here’s a tip on what you can use when you don’t have a rolling pin on hand:
A simple glass or plastic cup with a smooth surface will do!
- Now it’s time to roll out that dough.
- Now that we have the dough rolled out nice and thin (don’t forget to add more flour if you find it sticking in some spots), you can cut your pasta into whatever shape you want! This time I went simple, but feel free to experiment.
And there you go! Simple enough right?
Now let’s cook our pasta!
Cooking homemade pasta can be different than your run of the mill hard packaged pastas. You’ll want to make sure the sauce and whatever else is more than half way cooked when the water boils and it’s time to put the pasta in.
Once the water has boiled the pasta should only cook for 3 – 5 minutes or until tender. Strain and serve, but do not rinse.
Here is the finished dish! Since I love tomato sauce I’ve opted to add tomato sauce with some of my favourite vegetables.